Snow, snow, and more snow!!

>> February 6, 2009

Well, it's official. Snow follows us around like the plague. Everywhere we have gone in our many travels this winter 'the worst winter in decades' is sure to follow. Chicago's winter started off pretty rough, then we went to Edmonton and they were in a deep freeze, then we drove through central Alberta in the worst storm system in years, Calgary was next with just as dire a weather report, back to Edmonton and more snow, back to Chicago and 3 blizzards in a row. We get to Oxford and it was simply 'unseasonably cold' which sounded glorious to us because it was the mildest weather we'd seen in months. Now, however, we are in the middle of the worst set of storms in....well you get the idea. London got hit first (well I guess, we flew in there) and they got almost a foot of snow. I know, not much by North American standards, but it shut the city down. Including the underground trains. Now the storm system has settled over Oxford and while it originally was forecast to get the least amount of snow is now getting hit the hardest. The country (that's right, I said country) has run out of salt for the roads. Ugh. And I was so ready for spring. Which, btw, we were assured was just around the corner when we got here. Oh well. That and I found out our stuff only left the states last week and is on a significantly slower boat than was planned and won't get here until March 10, then it's another 10 days to clear customs and actually get delivered to our door. Great, now I have to go out and buy another high chair, there's no way I can wait another month and a half.


Here's the first snow fall, not bad, kind of nice and fluffy and quaint:

Then that completely melted by the next day and another storm moves in to take it's place:

And before that one got a chance to melt completely, we got dumped on again today.  It is still snowing.  Have I mentioned that between the snow and being sick I haven't made it out of the house since Sunday.  Blech.

All that being said, I couldn't leave you with only pictures of misery and dreariness.  So here's one of my little man.  He had a bit of a rough night last night and was so tired this morning.  I tried to keep him awake until his naptime, but here he is, an hour before, literally falling asleep standing up.

6 people had this to say:

RBandRC February 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

Beautiful snow! I love snow in pictures...the real life stuff not so much! ;)

And Asher is just a cutie.

Unknown February 7, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

Hey Heather, I love reading about your adventure. Wanted you to know that you are my Saturday selection.

Sam

Rachel Cotterill February 7, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Hope you feel better soon! Personally I'm loving the snow :)

Dina February 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

Hi Heather! I found your blog through Sam's Saturday selection. I like your writing style. I've enjoyed reading a little about your adventure and I'll definitely be back.

P.S. I hope you're not planning a trip to Omaha, NE, because we're enjoying springlike weather right now and I'd really rather not see more snow until next winter. HA HA

Rachel Cotterill February 8, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

I love the snow :) It's true we just don't get this kind of weather very often... we had to dig our car out to leave our village yesterday! Didn't realise Oxford had it bad as well.

Anonymous February 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Hi, Heather -- I came over on Sam's recommendation too. "Fun" (sorry) to read about the "path of destruction" you've left wherever you go! :)

I'll be back to read more.

About This Blog

I love this adventure I'm on with my Rocket Scientist. The most recent addition to our expedition has me in awe daily. I can't wait to see My Little Man as a big brother. We started off by moving from Western Canada to Chicago and now we're in the UK. Will this Strange Mamma ever not feel like a stranger in the land?

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP