Asher's First Birthday

>> April 15, 2009

Okay, so I realized why it's so hard for me to post sometimes. It's because I set myself up by telling you what I'm going to post about next and then I don't want to post about that the next day so that means I can't post about anything and when I want to sit down and write about something I feel guilty because I haven't posted what I said I was going to post about yet. Ugh. In case you didn't know, I'm a little OCD (self-diagnosed, not meaning to offend, I'm no Monk but I do have my moments, just ask Jeff). Anyway, so I'm going to endeavor to not let that be my blogging rule anymore. Well, more that I'm going to try not to actually tell you that I'm going to post about a specific thing next because there's no real chance of me un-making that rule. I'll try to just say I'll post about something soon so if something else comes up in the meantime I'll be perfectly justified in writing about that instead.


Right. So. Now that I have that out of the way, Asher's First Birthday:

We knew that we were having a party for him on Saturday, but we couldn't let Thursday go by unnoticed. Grandma didn't want to either and had actually arranged to go into work late so that she could be on Skype with us in the afternoon while he opened his presents. Yay! It was quite fun and she got to see him get the tricycle she bought him. She also got to see how much he did not dive into his Birthday Cake.Italic Oh well, it was really good cake, Jeff and I enjoyed it very much.


He loved opening up all his presents


I think he's more excited about the paper ripping than the toys.


Except this one, he was pretty excited about this one. (That's his new tricycle that Grandma got him, check out the video at the further down.)


Okay, so this is the cake that I made, I know the decorating job sucks, my icing recipes all turned out like crap and it's impossible to add color to chocolate icing so I ended up just swooping the icing around using a knife.  I also know that his name is crooked and you can't really tell that's supposed to be a ship at all but whatever, it tasted way better than the professionally decorated one we got for his birthday.  I tried, okay?


He, however, wasn't so sure about that.


This pretty much sums it up.


But then of course he realizes there's a camera there and he's all smiles.  The chocolate around his face btw, is not so much from him thinking it was so yummy that he couldn't shove it in his mouth fast enough, but more that he touched it and then kind of freaked out that it was sticking to him and flailed his hands around and got it everywhere.  He took one bite for me that was okay, then the next bite had icing on it and he just kind of stuck his tongue back out and tried to get it off with not a lot of success.  So we got the mess, without the awesome video of him diving into a sugar rush like a...well, like a kid in a candy store.  Instead we have 6 minutes of him pretty much thinking this is the yuckiest thing we've ever tried to make him eat.  Don't worry, I'll post that for you, too.

But first, here's the video of his tricycle coming out:






There's Grandma on the computer behind him, watching him check out his new wheels.  What an awesome invention that is.  But only two more weeks and Grandma can take him out to the park with those new wheels. Airplanes are pretty cool inventions, too.

Okay, that's it for this post, I'll put the cake fiasco on another one because it's really long and you'll probably want to skip it.  I would love to tell you what's coming up next, but I just don't know.  I do know that soon there will be a much delayed report on our trip to Cambridge and Janet's visit with us.  Although I'll be tempted just to point you to her daily posts about it because she wrote a lot more than I'll be able to remember.

3 people had this to say:

C. Beth April 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Mmmmm...homemade chocolate cake. YUMMY! I would have dived into it. So cute!

RBandRC April 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM  

Asher is SUCH a handsome little man! I think your cake looks beautiful and yummy to boot. :)

Eternal Lizdom April 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM  

Heis so freaking adorable and I am now completely obsessed with his adorable baby toes!!!! It's this weird thing I have... cute baby toes totally do me in.

About This Blog

I love this adventure I'm on with my Rocket Scientist. The most recent addition to our expedition has me in awe daily. I can't wait to see My Little Man as a big brother. We started off by moving from Western Canada to Chicago and now we're in the UK. Will this Strange Mamma ever not feel like a stranger in the land?

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP