Monday Meals

>> April 20, 2009

I've been interested for a while by blogs who have themed days (like Monday Micro and Skywatch Friday) so I'm going to start my own.  Monday, just because the first one is today, and Meals because that's what was going on in my brain today.  Lucky they go together, right?


Monday Meals will be about my pre-occupation with what Asher's eating.  You see, lately we've been moving away from pre-made baby food and I have this idea that I should probably try to introduce him to a properly varied diet so that when he's older he doesn't become a picky eater (I know, there are no guarantees, but I have to try).  I'm hoping to enlist your help.  I'm looking for ideas for easy snacks, breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I'm also looking for new ways to try and introduce milk to my little man who turns his nose up at it so far. Spread the word to any other mother's out there, too.  I don't have a give-away (yet) but I will definitely give your blog a plug and if another mother submits an idea and tells me they did so because of you, I'll give you both a plug.  You can email any ideas/recipes to lillymercu (at) gmail (dot) com or leave them in the comments section.  

So today, we had chicken, potatoes, and baby carrots.  I know, not terribly ground-breaking, but we have to start somewhere.  For the most part it went well, the only new item here was the baby carrots.  He ate the first one I gave him quite well and then I left him to the rest on his own.  For the most part, right now he's eating quite well with his hands (until he's more mischievous than hungry and then things start getting tossed around or spread on his shirt/face/hair/whatever).  We're even starting to use a spork thingy.  I scoop food onto it and help him guide it into his mouth.  He's very pleased with himself about this. 

 I give you the aftermath:

What is that you say?  There's something on the floor?


Well, let's take a closer look shall we?


Seems the carrots were not such a great hit.  He ate them if they were on his spork, but if he put them in his mouth with his hands, he would just let them slide out again.  That was at first, after a couple like that he proceeded to pick the rest out of his dish and drop them over the side.


 Potatoes and chicken are always a big hit, but they will invariably find their way into his hair at some point.


And the spork got tossed overboard towards the end as well.


See, Mommy?  All done.


Oh, look!  It turns over.  

Great, now he knows.  All in all, a good lunch.  What will be featured next week?

4 people had this to say:

Eternal Lizdom April 20, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

I just tagged you over at Eternal Lizdom!!

I actually made all of our baby food. With Teagan, it started as a curiousity and become so easy that it just became routine. It was very easy to move into just feeding her what we were eating from there. With Zach, we did more of a "baby led weaning" approach. Over cooking some of what we had and just letting him explore and figure it out. It's a more laid back aproach and worked well for home. I still made some purees so he had food at daycare.

It was never intentional, but I neded up never buying any jars of baby food!

Rachel Cotterill April 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

one of my friends has had a lot of success with baby-led weaning, they let their son try anything from their plates and he just eats as much as he needs. i think you can get books about the theory.

RBandRC April 21, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

I love the picture with the food in Asher's hair! That is too funny! I have to wash Lemy's hair every day for the same.exact.reason. Somehow she managed to get bread tangled in her hair--I didn't even think that was possible! ;)

C. Beth April 21, 2009 at 7:45 PM  

Heather--Zoodle isn't so much into milk either and I keep forgetting to offer it. Since he still breastfeeds, it's okay, but clearly he won't be breastfeeding FOREVER so I'm hoping he'll decide to like cow milk. ANYWAY--he does like cheese, yogurt (we do plain mixed with fruit), and yesterday he ate a little cottage cheese. So those are ways we get dairy into his diet, though not consistently. (It's similar with my three-year-old, who doesn't drink a lot of cow milk.) My pediatrician also suggested (for my three-year-old) pudding. So far Chickie isn't interested(?!) Of course, it's got lots of sugar in it, which we tend to already have too much of in our house, but...probably okay as long as we don't have it too often.

About This Blog

I love this adventure I'm on with my Rocket Scientist. The most recent addition to our expedition has me in awe daily. I can't wait to see My Little Man as a big brother. We started off by moving from Western Canada to Chicago and now we're in the UK. Will this Strange Mamma ever not feel like a stranger in the land?

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP